This is your perfect weekday meal. Hearty, easy, fast. and really healthy. Lots of flexibility in terms of ingredients and absolutely something your kids can make! Pair it with Tea Biscuits and you have a wonderful mid week meal.
Hearty Bean Soup
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- medium sized pot
- 1 yellow onion choppped
- 2 stocks of celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary finely minced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 14 ounce can Romano Beans, rinsed
- 1 litre soup stock (vegetable, mushroom, chicken)
- 3-4 sprigs Parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine ** Optional
- Parmesan Rind ** Optional
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan ** Optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary.
- Cover bottom of pot with enough oil to cover and add onions. Sprinkle with sea salt to sweat.
- Sautée for a few more minutes and add the garlic. Stir so the garlic doesn't burn. Add 1/4 cup of wine if using.
- Add carrots, celery and rosemary. Sautée for a few more minutes.
- Add beans and cover with broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. While the broth is simmering, add a Parmesan rind if using.
- While the broth and beans are simmering, take the spine out of the Kale and chop coarsely. Remove the leaves from the parsley and mince them.
- Taste.Adjust with salt and pepper. Add Kale and simmer for 2-3 minutes and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan (optional).
Options: You could add 1/4 cup of dry white wine after your onions, carrots and celery have sauteed. You could also add Parmesan rind to the soup as it is simmering and top with grated fresh Parmesan when serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!