Forget the stock pot. You don’t need to be stuck in the kitchen while your sauce bubbles and simmers for hours. Make a rich, delicious, oven-roasted tomato sauce with just a loaf pan, your oven and about 10 minutes labour.
Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
Delicious, rich tomato sauce is a snap when you roast it in the oven. Minimal effort and amazing flavour.
- 1 9" x 13" loaf pan
- 1 28 ounce Whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter optional: olive oil or vegan butter
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig basil or 6-8 basil leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2" Parmesan Rind Optional
- 1 anchovy fillet Optional
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour tomatoes into loaf pan. Using hands or a wooden spoon, break up the tomatoes into smaller chunks.
- Stir in basil, garlic, pepper, and Parmesan rind and anchovy if using.
- Sink basil leaves into sauce (if they sit on top they'll dry out.)
- Place butter on top.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Roast for another 25 minutes.
- Serve on pasta or use as a base for sauce or soup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!