When it comes to entertaining, it’s essential to land on an item that can feed lots of different palates with not lots of extra work. Enter, the fresh spring roll. It’s gluten free. It can be easily modified for vegans or carnivores. It’s pretty and your kids can help you make them. Versatile, fresh, healthy and no need to turn on the oven!
This pairs well with Grüner Veltliner or Sauvignon Blanc.
Happy summer everyone. It’s almost here!
Fresh Spring Rolls
- For the spring rolls:
- 1 package spring roll rice wrappers bigger square ones are easier to work with and you can pack more in
- 1 package vermicellie rice noodles
- 2 mangoes peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated or julienned
- 1 large English cucumber peeled and cut into thin strips
- Red or Orange Pepper juliennned
- Avocado peeled seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- 1 bunch of basil leaves
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- leaves lettuce Bib or Leaf Lettuce works the best
- Optional Ingredients:
- bean sprouts
- cooked chicken poached gives it a great texture
- cooked shrimp
- marinated tofu
- tempura tofu
- sliced rare steak
- For the Peanut Sauce:
- cup ¾sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy natural or Skippy)
- teaspoon ½soy sauce
- teaspoon ½hoisin sauce
- in Mix all the ingredientsa food processor or by hand with a spatula until smooth.