The Mangoes are Coming!
Make the most of mango season! Ataulfo mangoes are healthy, versatile, delcious and just happen to be my favourite mangoes. They’re easy to cut and the flesh is firm and tender (but not stringy) and they are sweet with a bit of sour.
The best months to get these mangoes are from April to the end of June. If you are an east-ender, you will soon be able to buy these by the box in Little India (Gerrard and Coxwell area).
Ataulfo mangoes are super versatile and go well with either sweet or savory dishes. They’re an excellent addition to a fruit, black bean or chicken salad and make incredible smoothies (try mango and avocado). They freeze really well too.
This mango coconut tofu bowl is easy, fast and really delicious. Ate two servings just yesterday.
MANGO COCONUT TOFU BOWLS
- COCONUT RICE
- 1.5 cups uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- HONEY LIME GLAZE
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime ¼ cup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- PAN FRIED TOFU
- 14 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu
- Pinch of salt
- 2-4 Tbsp corn starch
- 2-4 Tbsp neutral oil for frying
- BOWL TOPPINGS
- 1 Ataulfo mango (small and yellow it is less stringy)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels and press between two cutting boards or a cutting board and a heavy pot resting on top. Press for 20-30 minutes.
- To make the rice, put the rice, garlic, salt, coconut milk and water into a small pot. Stir. Cook on medium high just until it comes to a boil. Give it a stir, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking prepare your toppings. Cut mango and avocado into cubes or slices, cut onions and chop cilantro.
- After the tofu has been pressed, cut it into ½ inch cubes. Blot with a paper towel if needed to make sure the surface is dry. Combine the corn starch and salt in a bowl. Dredge the tofu a few pieces at a time until completely covered. Set aside.
- Use a small skillet and add enough oil so there is at least a centimeter on the bottom fo the pan. Heat on medium heat until it is shimmering. Add the tofu and fry until golden brown, turning with tongs so it is cooked evenly.
- Make the honey lime glaze. Put the zest and lime juice in a pot. Add the corn starch and stir to remove any lumps. Add the soy and honey. Put into a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the honey is completely melted and combined and the glaze starts to thicken.
- To build the bowls, place about one cup of the savory coconut rice in the bottom of each bowl. Add tofu, mango and avocado. Drizzle some glaze on top. Sprinkle some pepper flakes, cilantro and onions and eat!
A: Substitute tofu with boneless skinless chicken cut into 1” cubes.
B: Substitute tofu with shrimp (peeled and deveined.
C: Add crushed peanuts on top.