It’s Monday and if you’re thinking of going meatless, I offer you this fantastic taco recipe. It’s quick and easy and delicious. You get fantastic plant based protein in the form of brown lentils. They pack a super healthy punch: one cup of cooked lentils gives you almost 18 grams of protein and 15 grams of fibre. Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, gives you 3 grams of fibre and is a good source of antioxidants.
Fine, but how does it taste! Delish. It’s savoury and flavourful has great texture and makes for wonderful leftovers!
La Costena is an excellent brand of Mexican spices and sauces and you can almost always find them at No Frills in Toronto. Their Chipotle Peppers in Adobe sauce is wonderful. If you’re in the east end, Royal Beef often has dried peppers on hand. You can serve these with flour, corn or hard shell tacos. If you want to really treat yourself (and have the time), you can get fresh corn tortillas at La Tortilleria Market in Kensington Market.
As always, try this recipe and then make it your own by adding spice and flavour to suit your tastes.
Happy Meatless Monday!
Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos
- 1 large head of cauliflower sliced into bite-sized florets
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Seasoned lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup brown lentils picked over for debris and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- Chipotle sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce or chipotle hot sauce to taste from a can of chipotle peppers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Everything else
- 8 small round tortillas
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves (cilantro haters substitute some fresh spring greens instead)