Peas Porridge HOT
Peas Porridge HOT
Split Pea Soup is hearty, healthy and can be made quickly. It's versatile too! A great vegan dish, you could also easily make it carnivore friendly by adding bacon, smoked ham, pancetta or crispy fried prosciutto. Split peas have 26 grams of fibre per half cup and 25 grams of protein.
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1-2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 -1 tsp salt
- 1/2 -1 tsp pepper
- 1-2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1/4 pound slab bacon/pancetta/smoked ham
- 1/4 pound prosciutto
- 1 ham bone
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1-2 cups croutons
- 1/2 -1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 -1 cup Vegan Coconut Yogurt
- Place your split peas in a large pot. Cover with two inches of cold water (meaning, the water should be 2 inches above the peas). If you want, you can leave the peas in the water overnight, but this is not necessary to make your soup.)
- Bring the peas to boil. While the peas are cooking, dice your onions, chop your garlic and peel and chop your carrots. Put olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onions, garlic and carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the peas have been brought to boil, reduce to simmer. Add the lightly sauteed carrots, onion and garlic and add them to the pea soup.
- Check on your peas periodically to make sure they are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. If the mixture looks too thick, add a little water. After about 30 minutes the peas should look creamy and be soft. Test them. When they are the texture you want, add 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas.
- If you are adding bacon to your soup, fry it and add it in the end. Prosciutto can be lightly fried to give a really great salty, crispy flavouring to your soup. Ham can be chopped and added after it is blended. You can cook the soup with the ham bone and just remove before serving.
- For creamier soup, use a hand blender or blender to emulsify the peas. Top with chopped fresh mint. Serve with bread, biscuits or croutons.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!