A no-fail, go to cake recipe is essential. Sometimes, you need something that is reliable, delicious and doesn’t require an extra trip (or trips) to the local supermarket or a rushed Amazon Prime delivery for a elusive ingredient. Here you have a beautiful, chocolaty cake that could be doubled as a layer cake, cut into squares or cooked in mini muffin or loaf pans. It’s sturdy, no fuss and plain delicious.
Want to up your dessert repertoire? Starting March 23, I am running a 4 week baking course. Each week we tackle a different dessert: Cake and Buttercream, Pastry and Pie, Cream Puffs (choux pastry) and Macarons.
Click here to find out more!
If I knew You Were Coming...I'd Bake You a Cake!
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar 145 grams
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 25 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk * see Notes for options. 175 ml
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 ml
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder 41 grams, sift to remove lumps
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 125 grams
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee optional
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table or fine sea salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled, 55 grams
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar 180 grams, sifted if lumpy
- 1/2 ounces cup unsalted butter at room temperature, 4or 115 grams
- Pinch of fine sea salt optional
- 1 tablespoon of whippiing cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract