Celebrate Valentine’s or just the sun coming up with these delicious, buttery, fast sugar cookies. The dough uses LOTS of butter (natch) and doesn’t have a rest time, so if you have a hankering for delightful cookies covered in Royal Icing and sprinkles, look no further.
Best Sugar Cookie Recipes
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla Optional: substitute scotch or bourbon.
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 TBLS corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 TBLS water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Add butter and sugar to your mixer.Cream the butter and sugar until it is completely mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix untilcompletely incorporated.
- Add Baking Powder and mix.
- Mix in the flour two cups at a time.
- Do not chill the dough, the cookies will bake better if the dough is at room temperature.
- Roll a handful of the dough out on a floured surface until it's about 3/8" thick and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes depending on the size of the cookie. Do not over-bake.
- Frost with Royal Icing and sprinkles.
- Mix icing sugar, corn syrup and vanilla.
- Smooth with a spatula to reduce lumps.
- Add any dye if using (gel or powder is better because it has less liquid). Add water bit by bit so it is spreadable but not too runny.
- Put icing in a piping bag or squeeze bottle.
- Top with sprinkles.